November 15, 2006

Yay Science!

I found this article on people pc, my new internet provider. It's highspeed dial up, baby.
The two teams basically agree, within their margins of error, that the evolutionary lineages of Neanderthals and modern humans split somewhere around 500,000 years ago, he said. That number had been suggested by far more limited DNA analysis before, so it's comforting to see it backed up with more extensive analyses, he said.
Neanderthals and anatomically modern humans coexisted in Europe for thousands of years, until Neanderthals died out some 28,000 years ago. Scientists have been debating whether the two groups interbred and whether modern humans carry some genetic remnants of Neanderthals.
Rubin said his analysis, like some previous work, found no evidence of such intermixing, though it'll take more DNA to rule it out.
Paabo's analysis didn't directly address whether modern humans have DNA from Neanderthals, but it did raise speculation that DNA from anatomically modern humans might have found its way into Neanderthals. Scientists will have to examine more Neanderthal DNA to study that, he said.

7 comments:

Margaret said...

"Neanderthals died out some 28,000 years ago."

I'd have to give you a disageement on that theory there. Especially as I glance over to the sofa and watch my Husband play "Spongebob Squarepants" on his XBox.

Neanderthals must still be alive and well.

Rowan Dawn said...

That is funny. You made me giggle, and I agree with you.

JBlue said...

I've seen people that sort of have a Neanderthal look about them, and I've wondered....

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, dear heart, hope you take time out for some fun and laughter and not work too hard in the kitchen!

Granny said...

In my part of the country, they're called Republicans.

Rowan Dawn said...

no shit, ann!

you too candace!

Anonymous said...

I agree with granny's statement.