March 13, 2006

The good news first...

... is that I don't have gestational diabetes. I was supposed to take a glucose tolerance test between 27 and 28 weeks, so of course I waited until the last minute to do it. As a matter of fact, I only went because I was feeling so crappy. See, I thought I might have low blood sugar. So I drank that sweet orangey stuff and an hour later went back to the lab for a blood draw. An hour later I felt normal, and I continued to feel better all night. That was on Friday.

Why is it that everytime I go to take a nap someone will call? No matter what, everytime. The phone will be silent all day, I lay down and it will ring. And keep ringing, damn it. I can't shut the ringer off in case Chantz or his parents call; it could be important. So I wasn't surprised when the phone immediately rang this afternoon. I was surprised it wasn't Chantz. When it said blocked call I assumed it was some damn creditor and if I didn't pick up they'd keep calling. it was Tammy, Dr. Swarny's nurse calling to tell me the good news.

Feeling crappier and more run down than on Friday, I asked her if it was possible that I might have low blood sugar. She said I was in the normal range, but looked again and said my level was 92, meaning I was probably 50 before the test. I asked her what that meant, and she said it meant I was probably hypoglycemic. Should I mention it to Dr. Swarny at our next visit? Yes, she says, and she would make a note of it in my chart. So that's my bad news. This isn't new, I have been like this as long as I can remember, but I just always made sure I ate something and I was fine. But this pregnancy is different. Its not getting better. Ever since Friday I have been craving that orange drink. I hope we can figure something out.

I know many of you have had problems with doctors; I've read the posts. I am so lucky to have Dr. Swarny. Very lucky considering his practice is technically closed. He doesn't take new patients, unless they are in the same family, like my kids. He delivered Tessa, so I had no problem. I didn't have to bully him like the nurses all do (to get him to deliver their kids). He is a family practice doctor and big in our hospital. I like him. His name is Bruce, too! I guess I end with good news, too.

4 comments:

Rowan Dawn said...

Clarify: 92 is normal, and they weren't looking for low blood sugar. Since I am pregnant they are concerned about diabetes.

Oh great One said...

I had to take the expanded blood sugar test when I was pregnant with my first. I had to go back every hour for several hours. That was a drag but my real issue was the nurse taking my blood. She kept having to re stick me! My arm was black and blue for quite a while after that! I'm glad it isn't diabetes. Take care of yourself!

Rowan Dawn said...

oh great one- that sucks. i am used to getting stuck from when i donated plasma, but haven't had to be restuck over and over. i am glad i don't have to do the extended one! thanks!

fredcq- isn't that weird? every time! its a curse- that is what we get for being parents, curses!

eyes_only4him said...

I hated those damn tests...nothing like drinking flat orange tasting soda with enough suagr to keep a dead body rolling..

thank goodness I never had dieabtes..