March 17, 2006

How about a book review or two?

Just read American Chillers Alien Androids Attack Arizona. I started reading it to the kids, and it was so good that I kept reading! It is only 180 pages long, a quick read, and full of surprises. Shelby overhears her 5th grade teacher speaking in a monotone voice into her watch. Strange things keep happening, and Shelby knows that her teacher is a robot! No one will believe her, not her parents or her two best friends, Arielle and Joe. She has to prove to someone that alien robots are here and are planning to take over the world. With surprising twists and an amazing journey through space, this book will captivate you... or at least captivate your children.

I also finished reading Redwall by Brian Jacques. This is considered a children's book, although much longer than American Chillers. This tale is surprisingly filled with violence and mild language, but I would still recommend it for children in the 3rd grade and up. It is currently being read to my daughter's 3rd grade class, and by her surprised reaction to my reading of it, I am sure that the teacher is filtering out some of the grittier language. It is a sweet tale of a young mouse, a novice monk, with dreams of becoming more... so much more. And until Cluney the Scourge shows up, it is only a dream. This mad rat and his army reek havoc on the woodland creatures surrounding Redwall Abbey, killing those who refuse to join his assault. Creatures flock to the abbey for protection and Matthias realizes his destiny of becoming a warrior, just like Martin from days of old. Cluney is evil; the most despicable kind of creature in existence. Led on by dreams of defeat to a mouse named Martin, he terrorizes the inhabitants of Redwall Abbey, or at least he tries to. All his complicated schemes seem to go awry, but he doesn't give up! The creatures from the abbey are strong, they will not go without a fight! This story is adorable yet intriguing, constantly leading the reader to ask what will happen next? With many twists and turns, this tale is complex yet simple, and there is no surprise it is an enduring classic. Redwall is the first in a series of many, and I know readers of all ages will be spellbound with the turning of the first page.

2 comments:

JBlue said...

Dawn, I like YA literature, too. There's so much good stuff out there. I like the Harry Potter books, Artemis Fowl (the first three), Philip Pullman's books, Junie B. Jones.... I haven't read any of the Redwall series, although I know several people who have and love it. So many books, so little time! I like reading with my kids, too.

Rowan Dawn said...

this is dawn marie, susie. i will post what i want to post about, not what i think my few readers want to read. otherwise i might as well quit. this blog isn't so much about what i want anymore.

it is a journal, a diary. i write everything in my diary. i like books; now and again i will write about books.

jublu- i haven't read artemis fowl yet. I have a stack of books from the libraries and I ordered a lot from scholastic last week!