December 17, 2006

It's Too Elaborate and I Don't Want To Do It Anymore

I am sick of it. It just ruins the magic of it for me. As a child I never believed in Santa... well, my parents told us there was no Santa, we were very religious. But I wanted to believe, and deep in my heart, I still do. There is something warm and fuzzy about a big guy in red looking out for us.

But *bleep bleep* already! I am sick of buying different wrapping paper and gift tags and Santa gifts and hiding everything. I am sick of trying to remember what came from Santa and what didn't... forever... sometimes I would like to take credit for buying the cool stuff, ok? And the special table set up and all the damn food, and milk and the fucking lettuce for the fucking reindeer... and displaying all the gifts from Santa...

Austin is 11 years old already, and Tessa 9! They are going to be so traumatized I swear... because if we keep this shit up they will never figure out that it is just us perpetuating a massive lie! I want them to just gradually grow out of it, and not hate us for this deception. Austin is special, and I think we should lessen this charade. Maybe one Santa present, unwrapped, in front of the tree, plus some candy and a toothbrush in the damn stocking.

I have two babies, and I do not want to have to do this for another ten fucking years! It should not be such a big deal. When we first got together, I said no Santa no way, because I was a christian, and young and still very stupid. But I grew out of both beliefs, and got myself manipulated into creating this farce. I am tired of it. I am tired of hearing it isn't about me, but about the kids, and that I am a bad mom if I don't carry this bullshit on. I can stop doing it, but I will never hear the end of it. C and his mom over carry it out, and let me tell you, if she takes over, the production will only get bigger! Those two do nothing in miniature, especially when you put them together! And part of me doesn't want to hurt the children, so having them do it won't make it better. It won't stop waking me at 4 am, eating at me!

I want to take it down a notch. The kids can put out some cookies. I am not baking special cookies for Santa! I will put out a Santa present... unwrapped, only one each. I will not spend 30 minutes ogling over what Santa brought them. Enough already! I can't take it and it is really bothering me!

And the best way to handle it? Not say a word to C or his mom about it. Just nod and say ok to all their suggestions, and then not do them. I'm cereal! I'm super cereal! Anything else will start a big fight. I am open to suggestions and criticism here. Let me have it guys.

BTW, one Easter I woke up and my yard was COVERED in Easter eggs. I have beleived in the Easter Bunny ever since. Where else would a hundred Easter Eggs come from?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suggestions and criticisms maybe but it was one day my daughter comes up to me and says Santa Clause doesn't exist. I asked who told her that. She said no one, it's just too not real. I started that with making sure when she watches TV/Movies she knows what is real and not. Damn her for being observant and I told her the truth. Santa doesn't exist but in our hearts and gives us a feeling of sharing and gift giving to friends, family and the needy.

I have presents in the corner making it a little festive in here. I don't want her to feel left out when she gets back after holidays and her friends ask her what she got for X-Mas. I don't let her wait till X-Mas to open them all either. She opens one here and there and the majority on X-mas. We are kind of trying to create our own holiday at this time of year. Saturnalia looks quite inspiring for this time.

Then again you know that after reading my calender in progress *grin*

Margaret said...

We decided to do the "Santa and his elves only make and bring presents made out of wood. He comes back and collects the Christmas trees tossed out to the curb and recycles them into toys."

So far he's brought wooden blocks, a few puzzles, a stool for her bathroom and this year an easel. It's been great and I'm glad we decided to handle it this way.

Not to proselytize but as a Christian I know you still are one. It means to be Christlike. Who much like Ghandi was a rebel using peaceful means against the pious hypocrites. You know, those who tell us the moral righteous crap when they don't even apply it to their own lives. Yet punnish us when caught.

Our creator isn't like that. He has forgiven and blessed people in the Old Testament that have done far worse than those who we find sitting in our jail cells today. That kind of freedom and love is what our creator is all about.

From my understanding this is also the founding principal in Wicca, Islam and other beliefs. Mortals in power in all religions are the creeps that binded the founding principal of Freedom and Love in their entrapment of legal red tape.

If you're rebel enough to cut the red tape out of the way and see the truth. You're one of the enlightened. And you are!

Granny said...

Amen to what Margaret said.

We've never made a huge production out of Santa. He usually does the stocking and small presents; the rest have gift tags.

We put out cookies of course.

They've all but outgrown Santa and are humoring me. No trauma; most kids understand that fantasy is fun.

Rowan Dawn said...

"Santa doesn't exist but in our hearts and gives us a feeling of sharing and gift giving to friends, family and the needy. " that is how I feel marlee! but i dont know what "Saturnalia" is!

margaret- i don't know where I would get wooden toys from, lol! otherwise, you lost me. I am not a christian anymore, but pagan.

granny- good! I am glad they humor you. I really hate the whole thing. Its a pain in the butt!

Anonymous said...

I don't do xmas cards (and I don't care if I offend anyone by using XMAS). I refuse. I don't believe that a "special" day, or "season of giving" needs to be dedicated to prompt people into kindness.

Having said all that, I have an xmas tree - it's lovely - and stockings will be hung by the chimney. My teenage children as well as my oldest non-teenage child will receive a present from Santa. I've been programed.

No prayers before dinner though, I gotta draw the line somewhere!

Mike

Anonymous said...

Well, aren't we a bright little ray of sunshine this morning! (evil grin)

There's no big guy in a red suit looking out for us (any more than there's a big guy in a white robe looking out for us, but I digress.)

The only reason I would recommend continuing the farce is so the kids won't be teased by other kids. Most kids come to the realization about Santa around the age of six, or so I hear. Maybe you could enlist the aid of the older kids to play along and wrap the "Santa" gifts for the younger ones, and so forth, taking some of the load off of you.

There may be other things that are upsetting you right now, and the Christmas farce has borne the brunt of your feelings?

Anonymous said...

I agree we shouldn't have just one time to be giving and all but it sure is nice when you get that boss who isn't giving and caring to be like that for a little while once a year. It's a dog eat dog world and to have a break from the rat race where boss and worker are the same people.

Oh and the red suit, that's Coca-Cola's influence. Santa's original is blue and white.